Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The big 5 finale !

I saw the big 5!! Big 5 are the animals pictured below: lion, elephant, rhino, buffalo, and leopard.
One (other) exciting piece of information was that I had 2 private safaris!! Yes, meaning it was just me and the guide and tracker. :) my flight back to joburg was also just me! Had the whole tiny plane to myself! (with the pilots) -the one was in training because he kept looking at a sheet that said what to do during take off and landing, etc. 

This was kind of cool-2 of the 5 big 5 in the same photo! :) 
Saw some giraffe ..
Zebra... 
Lioness at night !
Leopard was the hardest for to find 
But we found her!! :)

Sabi Sabi was great... Very high class and a good way to end the trip. I saw everything I wanted to see minus two characters from lion king -hyena and warthog. :(

For those wondering ...
We woke up at 6 each morning and had safari from 6:30-9:30. There was a walking safari for an hour mid day and then an evening safari from 3:30-6:30. (I think the times vary depending on the season) 

Sometimes we would drive for 30 minutes without seeing anything.. And then maybe we would see one giraffe... And then we would keep driving... And then we would see a herd of elephants... You get the idea.

Part of me was expecting to see a more constant flow of animals and in larger numbers. I was surprised at how many were traveling solo. 

All in all, I'm content and happy with Sabi Sabi as well as my trip as a whole...On my hour some flight back to Johannesburg I started crying. (Ha!) tears already flowing so I should be a nice mess when I get home. That's what happens when you're going to be up for 48 hours... They're happy tears though. :)

Next update will be from home!! 


1 comment:

  1. really nice travel experience you're sharing, thank you! still haven't done a safari yet, will have to do soon.

    ReplyDelete