Sunday, June 18, 2023

New England part 1: Connecticut

So... a day and a half after we got back from the Dakotas we headed out again! This time we headed to New England and Melissa's boyfriend and my husband got to tag along this time too! The actual order of events is different from what I'm about to describe. 
For those curious about our actual itinerary...

We flew into Boston on a Friday night. 
On Saturday we drove to Salem and spent a couple hours there then spent the rest of the day in Connecticut. 
On Sunday we drove to Rhode Island and spent the day there.
On Monday we drove to Plymouth and then to Boston 
On Tuesday we had a half day before we headed home (which was also spent in Boston) 


THIS blog, however, is just covering Connecticut.


Connecticut has never really been on my list of states I had to see, but in order to get all 50 states I had to find something to do there!  I did some research and found Gillette Castle and Sleeping Giant State Park

From their website, "[Gillette Castle] looks like a medieval fortress, but a step inside the stone castle reveals the built-in couches, table trackway, and woodcarvings that all point to the creative genius that was William Gillette." William Gillette was an American actor and playwright. He is best remembered for playing Sherlock Holmes on stage and in a silent film. 



The castle itself was beautiful on the outside. However, we did not get to go inside because they were sold out. I DID have a slight problem with this because I checked their website throughout the day and it showed tickets were still available, but when we got there they said they were sold out. I asked the woman behind the counter about the discrepancy and she said the third party probably hadn't updated the website in real time.  Here's the thing... had I known this, I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT TICKETS EARLIER.  It was disappointing to drive all that way and not be able to go in. 

Gillette Castle

up close

view from window looking in


After Gillette Castle we went to Sleeping Giant State Park. Sleeping Giant is unique because it has two miles of mountaintop which resemble a sleeping giant. 

Stolen from their facebook page. Here is the Sleeping Giant.



We arrived at the park and I was hoping there would be more scenic views. I at least hoped to be able to see the "sleeping giant."  Mike and I found a trail and decided to hike it- the Tower Trail. I didn't want to come all this way to just drive through the parking lot so we did it. Since the other two were waiting for us at the bottom we went up the trail as fast as we could. It was 3 miles roundtrip and is generally considered an "easy" trail. HA! Easy going down maybe. Mike and I were huffing and puffing trying to make good time. I'm sure it would have been more relaxing and leisurely if we weren't on a time crunch. The views were pretty and I loved it when we finally reached the tower! I was a little disappointed I still couldn't see the sleeping giant, but it was a nice hike. (Nice views, anyway)



we finally made it!

loved the views

so pretty

view from the tower

the tower

part of the trail 



After all this we drove to our Airbnb. We quickly realized that it wasn't in the best part of town so there were many jokes to be had. We found a place to eat called 
Frankie's Diner. We had the absolute best waitress there named Laurie. She was the sweetest thing and we all talked and talked and talked. It was great getting to know her! 


Go see Laurie at Frankie's Diner!




Stay tuned... Rhode Island blog is coming up next! 


No comments:

Post a Comment