Monday, November 28, 2011

(my) song of the year

A few weeks ago, someone asked me what God has been teaching me as of late...

The answer was simple: self worth and identity in Christ. I referenced the song by Jason Gray called "Remind Me Who I Am" and I am SO stoked to share this with you!

Someone recently did a "Behind the Song" article featuring this very song. Here are some snippets from the interview:


Jason Gray: "For the last few years my journey has circled around the idea of identity--where we find it, and why it matters....
...Genesis Chapter 3 tells us that one of the first consequences of sin entering the world is that the ground would be cursed, that we would eat by the sweat of our brow and the soil would produce weeds and thistles. This carries in it the idea of futility: that our efforts are frustrated, that no matter what we do, we feel it’s never enough--that perhaps we are never enough.

The constant, nagging fear that we don’t and never will measure up is like a pebble in our shoe that troubles every step of our journey. Surely this is the curse. We can’t live under the oppression of inadequacy long before we start looking for ways to escape the shame and loneliness of it, and things go from bad to worse as we flee from the curse by running to things we hope will make us feel loved, desirable, and worthy."

(cont.)

"We run to affairs. We surround ourselves with symbols of status that we hope will convince us of our worth... We flee to workaholism determined to prove our value--our life and vocation shaped by a fear of failing. We hide in the bottle. We turn inward and refuse to risk disappointing those we love by withholding ourselves from them. But of course all of these desperate grabs for significance leave us worse off than we were before--more empty, more ashamed, and with more regret. 

If only we could learn to run to Christ, the One who calls us His beloved, His bride, the child that He chose to welcome into His family. We would hear Him tell us that we are enough because He says so. We would hear Him call us His treasure, and we would come alive."


The song:

When I lose my way
When I forget my name
Remind me who I am
In the mirror all I see
is who I don’t wanna be
Remind me who I am
In the loneliest places
When I can’t remember what grace is

Tell me once again who I am to You
Who I am to You
Tell me
Lest I forget who I am to You
I belong to You
To You

When my heart is like a stone
and I’m running far from home
Remind me who I am
When I can’t receive Your love
Afraid I’ll never be enough
Remind me who I am
If I’m Your beloved
Can You help me believe it

Tell me once again who I am to You
Who I am to You
Tell me
Lest I forget who I am to You
I belong to You
To You

I’m the one You love
I’m the one You love
That will be enough
I’m the one You love


This came at such a good time; both the song (which I first heard it this summer) and the article (that I first read today)...

No comments:

Post a Comment