Sunday, June 18, 2023

New England part 2: Rhode Island

We made it to the smallest state: Rhode Island! Did you know Rhode Island covers an area of 1,214 sq miles?! Its distances North to South are 48 miles and East to West are 37 miles! 

We spent most of our time in Newport doing the cliff walk. The cliff walk is along the eastern shore of Newport and it famously combines the beauty of the shoreline with architectural history. The entire walk is 3.5 miles. (one way) About 2/3 of that is considered "easy" walking condition. 




We started at the North End so we saw: Easton's Beach, The Forty Steps, the Overlook, Ochre Court, Vinland Estate, Salve Regina University, and made it all the way to the Breakers. So basically, it was viewing the coastline and mansions. The coastline was pretty, but I don't care too much for viewing mansions. I would say the walk was just okay. I also did a coastal cliff walk in New Zealand which I think was a hundred times better so I might be a little biased. :) Here are some pictures I took from our cliff walk:











After our walk we went to Castle Hill Lighthouse. This lighthouse is still an active navigation aid for vessels entering the east passage.



There were a lot of shops and restaurants in Newport near the cliff walk. I'm sure you could spend a good deal of time walking around there, but since we had done part of the cliff walk we decided against more walking for the day. 

Connecticut and Rhode Island were both fine states to visit, but not states I want to go back to. It was nice that they are so close to Massachusetts and we could easily make day trips out of them. I think that's all you need, really... just a day for each. 

If I'm missing something that is super worthwhile in either Connecticut or Rhode Island let me know in the comments! 


Next blog will be on our last New England state: Massachusetts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment