Friday, October 27, 2017

Stayin’ Alive

During the first leg of our trip, we heard that song ("Stayin' Alive") probably more times than I’ve heard it in my entire life. I don’t know why it was so popular in Chile. Regardless, that song fits this post quite well after yesterday! 

For starters, we woke up at 5 am to catch a train to the starting point of the baby Inca trail hike. (We did the one day hike as opposed to the 4 day hike)


 This trail was about 7 miles long (uphill!) and, according to my health app, was “133 floors.”  



^^Do you see the section free of trees in the background? Those are terraces of ruins that we come to later in our walk...crazy!!!



We finally made it to those terraces that were off in the distance!

Also, keep in mind this is at a much higher altitude so yes of course I had a small bout of altitude sickness. That being said, it was all worth it! The views were beautiful and the weather was perfect. I was worried earlier because according to the forecast it was supposed to be rainy. I wanted to take that perfect iconic picture... and I did!! 



I HATE hiking uphill and I hate climbing steps, but when I saw the last stretch of stairs to Machu Picchu I practically ran up them...huffing and puffing. It was a fan girl moment for me... it’s so stunning and beautiful! I couldn’t believe that it was real life! <3

We made good timing too! I think we ended up an hour and a half a head of schedule. (It was still around 6 hours of hiking) Our guide from Condor Travel, Freddy, was excellent. I would recommend this company/guide! 

After all of the excitement from seeing MP, we got back to the hotel and both had some problems. Hey, I’ve been to 6 of 7 continents and have thrown up in 4 of the 6! Not exactly what I wanted as my “claim to fame,” but it’s something. ;) (We are both doing much better now!)

This morning we woke up and took a guided tour of Machu Picchu. Did you know that 80% of it is original whereas only 20% is restored?! The Incas built this city over a span of 80 years with the help of 15,000-20,000 people...keep in mind this was prior to any modern day tools. The structures are earthquake proof and many things are very advanced. 


And of course, I couldn't sign off without posting this:



No comments:

Post a Comment