Saturday, May 30, 2015

Big dreams becoming real tonight

I'm not going to lie... the title of this post was a line in a song from the 2014 movie, Annie.  I only watched it 10 times flying back and forth during my Asian journey.  :p  (What can I say? I didn't like my other movie choices!)

I've been back in the states for about a week so I decided to write my summary/recap post about my journeys. 

JAPAN:
I used Viator and found a couple of guides to show us around Tokyo and Kyoto. I used Viator once before (my quick day trip to Paris) and it proved itself so I decided to use it for private guides. While I can't say it was the greatest option out there, it  DID serve its purpose and proved itself yet again. 

I was nervous about Asia from the get-go since mostly everything is written in characters and there is no way I was going to learn or try to translate all those 你好 characters! We had limited time in Japan and, sure, we could have probably struggled along and stopped every 5 minutes to ask for someone who could speak english to get us to our destinations, but going with the guide was so much easier. They knew the city, they could give us background, and they could translate for us. It was worth it-especially since the rates were good.

Japan was decent, but I would probably not go back. I'm glad I got to see everything that I did, but there wasn't anything that I was truly over the moon for. 

CHINA: 
I booked through China Highlights and I HIGHLY recommend them!! I was in contact with my representative, Delia, and she gave me a sample itinerary based on what I had expressed interest in. We then tweaked it and customized and that was it! (Aside from getting the visa which Travisa helped tremendously!) 

We had our own private tour throughout China and a guide met us every step of the way and took us everywhere we wanted to go. I'm even still in touch with a few of the guides! They were great! (Shout out to Louise in Beijing, Cody in Chengdu, and Leo in Shanghai!)

I think I mentioned this earlier, but I was SUPER nervous about China - from eating over there, to the language barrier, to being so crowded, to everything I know being blocked over there, etc. BUT IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN I THOUGHT!!! I was extremely impressed with China and my dad was too! 

Funny thing about China is how many people wanted to take a picture with me because of my blonde hair. Definitely felt like a celebrity! 


AFRICA:
Yes, AFRICA. I did not go to Africa, but that's my plan for next year. I am currently working on an itinerary and will be going sometime between May and September of next year. I would LOVE for some company! If you (or anyone you know) would like to come, please message me!!  While I would love to go to Egypt and Morocco, I kind of doubt I'll be going since it's probably not safe-especially for me solo.  I will probably go to South Africa - maybe Botswana and Zimbabwe.  Any advice from fellow travelers would be greatly appreciated!! 

My dream is to travel the world. One of the greatest things about traveling (aside from seeing all these AMAZING places) is meeting so many AMAZING people. My heart is happy. I am happy to have explored a new continent, experienced a new culture, learned more than sitting in a classroom could ever teach me, and become friends with some of the sweetest people. Thank you for following me, reading my blog, liking and commenting on my photos. I hope that one day my travels can help someone else plan their perfect trip. <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment