Sunday, January 12, 2020

And we're off!

AT THE AIRPORT: When we arrived at the airport in Cincinnati I got distracted by a really cute service dog... I started following him and Mike was following me... we ended up at the wrong gate. LOL

Flights were okay... nothing exciting, but we got to catch some movies we’ve wanted to see! Best part was that the lady behind us said something about Antarctica. I turned around so fast and said "ARE YOU GOING TO ANTARCTICA TOO?!" She is (!) and upon further discussion we learned she’s actually going to be on the same ship we will be on!

One thing I love about travel is meeting other travelers and talking about... travel! There is something that instantly bonds us. Anyone who knows me knows I can talk and talk and talk about my favorite places to travel.


It took us about a day to get here to Buenos Aires...came to the hotel, ordered room service for dinner and then I slept for 12 hours. :)

Today we took a city tour of Buenos Aires. Let me start out by being brutally honest and saying this city has never been on either of our "let's go here!" lists. We had to stop here due to the nature of our itinerary so we decided to make the most of it and explore the city.





 The colorful houses of La Boca











Floralis Genérica is a sculpture made of steel and aluminum. It opens during the day and closes in the evening. It's solar powered!

Exploring the city


We had tapas for lunch which was a highlight for me! I LOVED the tapas in Spain and was over the moon when I was told about this tapas restaurant. 
We took a tour of Palacio Barolo which references Dante’s Divine comedy. It also had a view of the city from the lighthouse on top.
Pictured at right is the exterior view of the building. The Palacio Barolo was designed in accordance with Dante's Divine Comedy. There are 22 floors, divided into three "sections". The basement and ground floor represent hell, floors 1-14 are the purgatory, and 15-22 represent heaven. The building is 100 meters (330 feet) tall, one meter for each canto of the Divine Comedy. The lighthouse at the top of the building can be seen all the way in Montevideo, Uruguay.
Pictured below: a dragon of hell and the view from heaven



After the tour we went to Hillsong church. The services are in Spanish, but they were kind enough to provide interpreters. I have now been to Hillsong in Sydney, London, Amsterdam, Cape Town and Buenos Aires! 5 countries in total! Woohoo!

ALSO! Look who I found in Buenos Aires! This girl! 
We’ve been friends since the first grade and have traveled Australia together plus Grand Canyon and Vegas! It was super great catching up!

Heading to Ushuaia tomorrow and we’ll be one step closer to our ultimate destination! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment