Tuesday, April 9, 2013

"This one time in New Zealand..."

It has already started... sorry, guys.

You'll probably be hearing a lot of stories that start with "this one time in New Zealand." It's already annoying me though so maybe I'll rid myself of the habit before I return home in 5 days!

I've done some thinking and have tried to compile an FAQ of sorts so people don't feel pressured into talking to me about the trip when I return. If I answer all the questions now, maybe I won't have to repeat everything 249023 times.  :)   You're still more than welcome to ask, but I hate when people feel like they have to talk to me about it just because it's all I've known for the past 2 months.

FAQ:

Favorite thing I saw: The view from Te Henga walkway (Muriwai Beach, NZ) and AYERS ROCK (Uluru -Australia)... perfect way to begin and end the trip.
(Didn't do a separate blog entry for the rock, but it was AMAZING!) 

Favorite memory: going out on the boat with Hamish (our kiwi dad!)

Favorite part of the trip: THE PEOPLE. Kiwi hospitality = top notch. Also have met some amazing people (from all over the world) through tours and hostels. Love the conversations.

Favorite activity: BUNGY JUMPING. Duh.

Most annyoing part of the trip: living out of a suitcase for 2 months!

Least favorite part of the trip: missing my dog, being homesick, and worksick  0:)

Would I do something differently? No. I've gone back and forth about how things played out (especially the second half of NZ) but I'm glad we did what we did. Traveling on our own and not staying with families made things more expensive, (and sometimes stressful) but we got to see a lot more.

Maybe would have arranged Australia differently. Should have spent less time in Sydney and explored more of the country... but again, time & money were an issue. I feel like we explored NZ really well, but Australia not so much.  :(

What did I miss the most from home? Already answered this (people back home and MY DOG)... but other than that, I've really been craving Panera and quesadillas.  haha And I miss working...

How have you grown?
What have you learned?
How have you changed? 
^^These questions will be answered (and more) in my next blog post. Stay tuned for "Reflections."


TRIP SUMMARY: 
First few weeks in New Zealand were spent in the north island (Auckland, Raglan, Rotorua) in which we stayed with host families and worked in exchange for meals and accomodation. We arrived in south island and stayed with a host family in Picton. After that we were on our own and went down the west coast/southern end of south island. (Motueka, Westport, Greymouth, Franz Josef, Wanaka, Te Anau, Owaka, Queenstown, Catlins, Dunedin) 

Went to Sydney and stayed for 11 days... then a few days in Alice Springs/Outback.



TRIP NOTABLE MENTIONS:
The longest I've been out of the country.
First time staying with host families.
First time riding on the back of a motorcycle.
First time hitchhiking.
First time horse back riding.
First time staying in hostels.
First time renting a car.
First time driving on the wrong side of the road.
First time climbing a mountain.
Highest commercially rafted waterfall
Longest walk -Abel Tasman National Park... 8 hours (12.5 miles)
World's biggest swing
Australasia's highest bungy
World home of bungy jumping bungy
First time walking on a glacier
First time in a big city on my own
First time navigating a big city on my own (bus & train!)
First HILLSONG service
First time in the desert


*I'll probably add more as I think of them. :)

So hopefully this entry provided an overview and answered some of the basic questions. Again, I'll write another post reflecting more deeply on the whole trip and "blah blah blah."  
Enjoy SPRING! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment