Saturday, March 16, 2013

Thrillogy!


Bungy Jumping!On Friday I FINALLY got my bungy jumpS in!! Yes, multiple ones!

The first one I did was the Kawarau Bungy (world home of bungy jumping) and it was 141 ft. As I got to the bridge and was getting harnessed up, I noticed the two ladies in front of me. The first lady got counted down and was supposed to jump, but didn’t. They counted her down 2 or 3 times before she finally jumped. They say the worst thing you can do is hesitate once you’re up there. The longer you stand there, the worse it gets. Thankfully I don’t have a problem with hesitating. I just jump.  :)  The guys had asked me earlier if I had ever jumped before and, since I had, they asked if I wanted to go off backwards. Didn't take much to convince me... so I jumped off backwards!  Easy as pie. :)


Actually, it was a little more scary going off backwards. I grabbed hold of the bugy on the way down (like that was going to help me) … but it was really fun. Might even be my favorite of the jumps.  The only part I didn’t like about it was all the blood rushing to my head. I dangled there for a while before the raft could come get me…. It didn’t hurt, but you know if you’re upside down for a long period of time  you can feel everything rush to your head.

OH! And I was even a mini celebrity for a while. There was a crowd on the platform watching people jump… and about 15 minutes later I met some lady in the restroom and she said, “I watched you jump… backwards!! You made it look so easy. How do you do it?!”  

The second jump was the Nevis which was 439 ft. It's Australasia's highest bungy. This one I had to dive in head first.  After I bounced twice I had to pull a strap near my foot. This allowed me to turn right side up again. **I LIKED THIS!! It was better than hanging from my feet the whole time. And while I was waiting to get pulled back up I got to swing back and forth a little bit. Kind of nice. J  Have to say though… as I was swinging I got a little sad. My last and final stunt was the canyon swing and I felt like I got some of that already with this jump.


The third jump (errr canyon swing) was my least favorite and the least thrilling of them all.  The only plus side was that they let me go off backwards… (I should have gone upside down) …. The other cool thing was that they told me to look at the camera for a picture and then BOOM I was off. That startled me a little bit because I had no control over it. So that was a little exciting… but swinging made me sleepy. I started yawning midway through.

So… that was my excitement for Friday. 

Oh, and we hung out with another guide (paragliding guide!) Friday night. His name is Petr. (not a typo… his name is spelled Petr)  Haven’t laughed so hard in who knows how long … it was a really fun night. Ask me for the Cat Stevens/pants story upon return. 




Shout out to my lovely place of employment for having a memorial wall of me. That's sweet, guys. <3  I can't wait to see everyone when I get back!

Less than 2 weeks left in New Zealand. CRAZY!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment