Friday, May 20, 2016

Summary

I made it home! 

Before I go into my blog, I wanted to take time to say that my thoughts and prayers are with the airline that went down on the way to Egypt. It's completely devastating and I haven't quite wrapped my around it. I just flew out of the airport in Paris, and as many of you remember, I was contemplating adding Egypt to my itinerary... My heart is broken at the senseless act and for the loss of life. 

Back to my blog... The journey home was rough. Waited 7 hours in the airport, 11 hour plane ride, 6 hours in another airport, 9 hour plane ride... Was up for 40+ hours and ended up getting sick on my last flight. I was completely miserable.  That being said, I am so thankful to be home and for all the support I received while I was away! I checked out my blog stats and had over 1,000 views for this trip alone...so thank you!!

In summary... 

Trip highlights: 
Shark cage diving 

Elephant park 


Cat sanctuary 


Sabi Sabi


Lions head sunset hike 


Cape Town city tour


Snake sanctuary 



Would I have done things differently? Yes, I had a few extra days here and there that I should have made use of exploring another city. I think I tried to force more things into (Cape Town, Plett) than was needed. I also should have flown from Plett to Joburg and cut out the nonsense to Port Elizabeth... Just wasted days doing that.
But I know now... You live and learn, right? It is what it is and for planning everything on my own, I'd say I did alright. :)

This is the longest I've traveled solo and I think it has taken a toll on me a bit. Usually I've met up with people after a certain amount of time, but this was 17 days on my own. Yes, I met people along the way, but it wasn't the same-especially when you're missing someone back home. :(

The scariest part of the trip was ... Myself. I don't think I ever felt scared or unsafe during my time there, but nerves got the best of me before I even went down there. Yes, there were a few moments that made me a little uneasy, but nothing different from what goes on when you walk around downtown.

Some travel links from the trip:








No comments:

Post a Comment