Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Travel day

Today was a travel day so nothing exciting happened... Although, I did get really sick after being on a bus for 9 hours. I'm feeling a lot better now though and I love my new place where I'm staying! They even left me the most amazing chocolates on my pillows!!! Soooooooo good!!!!!!! Left Cape Town in the morning and am now in Plettenberg Bay!

Someone had asked me about safety the the other day so I thought I would mention it in the blog...at my first hostel there was a wall surrounding the entire building with a key pad for entry. There were wires on top of said wall and there were security guards at night... So it was pretty safe there. I walked down the street by myself to get some food (literally a minute walk) And I ended up walking to and from the waterfront by myself which was maybe a 15 minute walk. I was only approached twice by people, I said "no thanks," walked away and there was no issue. I didn't really understand what either one was saying to me, but they were asking for money of some sort. I did also come across a sketchy character, but with his pants dragging around his ankles. I wasn't too concerned because I knew I could easily outrun that. Caution was and is still to be used at all times, of course. (see below of picture outside of my room)
 

Hostels aren't really my thing, but I love them for a lot of reasons. 
1. Inexpensive-saves a lot of money!
2. Convenience-most have tours set up through the hostel so it makes booking easy!
3. Being with my travel tribe! For those back home -you know how much I talk about travel. I talk travel all the time ... Now multiply it by every single person you come across!! I LOVE it. 

Another question that was asked was about doing an organized tour vs going on your own... I'd have to say I like BOTH!

When I went to China, I had a private organized tour, which was nice and easy. I told them what I wanted to see beforehand and they made up an itinerary. It was scheduled base and had almost everything included so you can see the positives there. No worrying about a lot of things and getting knowledgeable guides to make the experience even better.

In Africa, I'm doing a mixture which is my FAVORITE travel style. I'm on my own which is super nice.. That means I can make up my own schedule and do whatever I want when I want! There have been days that I've joined an organized tour to get me to places that would have been harder to get to so that's also nice. Going with a guide and getting know more from the locals is always a plus.

Sorry for the slow and uneventful entry today, but it'll get more exciting these next two days... Promise !! 

No comments:

Post a Comment