Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Why I started crying in Cape Town

Blessing #1: arriving safe and sound and having smooth flights to South Africa 
Blessing #2: the flights being (basically) empty which meant stretching out and having a decent shot at sleeping
Blessing #3: having a heightened sense of paranoia. Upon arrival I was unable to locate my ride. There were a couple of guys (taxi drivers) that had come up to me, slightly pestering, offering to give me a ride. They had official looking vests on and if I hadn't known any better, I might have gone with them. I've been warned by so many people about taking taxis and I would rather play it safe than risk it. Yay for doing research in advance!
Blessing #4: my actual ride was playing Christian music in the car... So I asked the driver about Hillsong church and how to get there on Sunday. He in turn offered me a ride because it's his home church!
Blessing #5: (the title of this entry) Traveling makes me a little emotional anyway, especially after flying for 24 hours... But when I saw my first African sunset from the plane and saw the lights of Cape Town from the sky, I started tearing up. How many people have the opportunity to get to do what they want to do in life?! The fact that I'm visiting my 5th continent and am able to experience this and have this opportunity is AMAZING. And it makes me cry. 

1st day in Cape Town: 
I was going to do a half day city tour, but that got messed up... And I also got lost trying to get down to the waterfront for a hop on/hop off easy tour so I started getting a little upset with myself... And thankfully...
Blessing #6: the European guys I ran into earlier this morning (at my hostel) found me walking around and invited me to join them on a free walking tour. Yay for travel mates! 

We took a walking tour of District 6 where 60,000 inhabitants were removed from their homes during the apartheid to make it a white area. This artwork shows  what it was like in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's and the struggles that they faced. 
and I finally got my classic Cape Town pic: (the three to my left and one behind me are my new European friends!)

German sister #2 suggested going on a sunset hike and that's exactly what we did!! Lions Head (pictured below) is what we climbed up...it's a peak situated at 669 meters above sea level and takes about 90 minutes to climb at a moderate pace. It's 5.5. km 



Literally (mom, don't look!)

But it was worth it!

\
\
Blessing #7 was not dying. It was BEAUTIFUL at sunset, but then you have to hike back down as it's getting dark and 10/10 do NOT recommend that!! 









9 comments:

  1. Awesome Michelle!! Be safe and have a fabulous time!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really glad about blessing #7... I can see your mama has to spend a LOT of time on her knees ;). I will continue to pray too. Thanks for the stories. Be wise, kid. 😘

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful! Glad you are meeting people and spending time with them. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I was there... don't forget to bring me back a baby gorilla. Be safe kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I was there... don't forget to bring me back a baby gorilla. Be safe kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! Blessingsfor sure. Love looking at your adventures.

    ReplyDelete